A classic Chicken Divan Casserole with broccoli, chicken, cheese and a crunchy topping. This classic, creamy dish has been loved for decades for both its ease of preparation and rich flavor.
Chicken Casserole is one of my family’s favorite dishes, they love the cheese, and I love the protein and greens – so we all win! It’s so very easy to make, even without my suggested shortcuts!
This recipe is a classic with one of my favorite flavor combos… chicken, broccoli and cheddar cheese. It is definitely no surprise that this Chicken Divan recipe has been enjoyed by so many families for decades!
Why is this called Chicken Divan?
The original Chicken Divan recipe was named after the restaurant it was created in – the Divan Parisienne Restaurant in New York City.
How to make Broccoli Chicken Divan
If you are starting out with precooked chicken, skip that step!
- Begin by dicing up the chicken into small, bite-sized pieces,
- Cut your fresh broccoli into florets. Florets are just the green top part of the broccoli, cut into small pieces, with
- the majority of the stalk removed.
- In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and melted butter.
- In a medium bowl combine the soup and milk.
- In a large skillet, heat some olive oil and cook the chicken until golden brown and cooked through.
- Add the chicken and broccoli to the baking dish.
- Pour over the soup/milk mixture.
- Top with cheddar cheese.
- Add the bread crumb mixture, and bake for 20 minutes at 450 degrees F.
- Season with salt and black pepper, if needed.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
If you don’t eat the whole casserole (which we usually do around here, it’s SO good), it reheats perfectly. Simply place the Chicken Divan in the microwave, or reheat it in the oven or on the stovetop. Before reheating, I usually add a splash of milk to keep it nice and creamy.
Chicken Divan Casserole
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups uncooked broccoli
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 can Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
- 3 Tbs butter melted
- ¼ cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Dice the chicken. Combine the soup and milk in a medium bowl, and the breadcrumbs and butter in a small bowl.
- COOK THE CHICKEN
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and cook until until golden brown and cooked through.
- Add the chicken and broccoli to an 8×8 baking dish, and pour the soup/milk mixture over the top.
- Sprinkle with the cheddar cheese and pour over the breadcrumbs/butter mixture.
- Bake at 450 degrees F for 20 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
You can use any kind of condensed soup – I recommend Cream of Mushroom, Cream of Celery or just plain Cheddar Soup. You can make your own Cream of Chicken Soup too! SHORTCUTS:
Want to take a shortcut or 2? Use precooked rotisserie chicken or buy fully cooked chicken from the grocery store. Buy broccoli that is already cut into florets, or use frozen broccoli.