This easy and comforting tomato soup is so simple to prepare using staple pantry ingredients. To make it, you just need one can of tomatoes, a handful of pantry staples, and less than half an hour.
Guys, this is some really good Tomato Soup.
It’s sharp and tangy with just enough cream to take the edge off and add a really satisfying richness. It tastes like something whipped up in a charming bistro kitchen, but is so, so easy to make in yours.
You just need one can of tomatoes (crushed, cubed or whole all work fine), a few pantry staples, an immersion or countertop blender, and you’re 25-ish minutes away from some marvelous soup.
I ate this soup as a meal with toasted French bread yesterday and am planning on having it for dinner tonight with a hearty salad.
Pair it with a grilled cheese sandwich for the ultimate classic comfort food combination.
Easy Tomato Soup Recipe Notes
- I always use an immersion blender for this soup, it purees the tomatoes and onions but still leaves you with a bit of texture, which I like. If you prefer a perfectly smooth tomato soup, use a regular high-powered blender.
- If you don’t have heavy cream at home, you can use a couple tablespoons of sour cream instead.
- Diced and whole tomatoes require a slightly longer cooking time, please take note of that in the recipe.
- Have extra heavy cream? Try one of these heavy cream recipes to use up the leftovers.
This recipe calls for just a handful of simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand (so there’s no reason not to make it!). Enjoy!
Easy Tomato Soup Recipe
- Immersion blender OR
- Countertop blender
- 1 14- ounce can tomatoes whole cubed, or crushed
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon 14g butter
- Pinch of red pepper flakes optional
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3/4 cup chicken broth or water
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and cook until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add garlic and red pepper and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes. If using whole tomatoes, crush with a spoon and simmer for 10 minutes to soften. If using diced tomatoes, simmer for 5 minutes. If using crushed tomatoes, continue to next step.
- Add broth. Bring to a simmer, and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- If using an immersion blender, blend soup until mostly smooth. You may need to tilt the pot for the blender to work effectively. If using a countertop blender, cool the soup for 10 minutes before transferring it to the blender and blend until smooth or mostly smooth. If soup is too thick, you can blend in a little more broth or water. Return to saucepan.
- Stir in cream and salt and pepper to taste. Reheat over medium heat if necessary and enjoy!