Honey Garlic Chicken Wings are perfectly sweet and savory at the same time! Better than take-out, try this dish for a finger-licking good meal! Everything you’d ever want in a chicken wing, plus they’re baked, not fried!
They are my guilty pleasure! They are flavorful, fun to eat, and they make for a good appetizer, just like Crispy Potato Wedges, BLT Potato Salad, and Pear Salad! Serve this dish along with these other recipes and you get yourself a nice quick meal!
This Honey Garlic Chicken Wings recipe requires no frying, unlike other recipes. In this recipe, the chicken wings are seasoned and baked to perfection, then, tossed in a sweet and savory sauce.
What comes out are tender pieces that are moist on the inside and perfectly caramelized and sticky on the outside. They make for a great finger food which you can snack on or turn into a complete meal by pairing with carbs and fiber.
Unlike breasts, this part of the chicken is easier to cook as it dries out much slower. Also, though the breasts have fewer calories, the wings have more flavor, thanks to the fat content. A piece has roughly around 43 calories, with 36% attributed to fat.
Aside from that, it contains zero carbs and the rest of the calories are attributed to protein.
How to make honey garlic sauce:
This is quite easy! All you need to do is combine all the sauce ingredients in a pan. Allow the mixture to boil and then, let it simmer steadily over lower heat for about 10 minutes until it thickens.
Remove it from the heat when it starts to coat the back of a spoon. Set it aside until later use.
How to make honey garlic chicken wings
- Prep the oven: Preheat it to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. The high temperature is needed to crisp up the chicken.
- Season: Get the wings and pat them dry completely. Season them with the spices and seasonings listed in the
- recipe card below, then, brush them with olive oil.
- Bake: Bake them for about 35 minutes, turning them at the 20th-minute mark to cook evenly on both sides.
- Toss: Prepare the sauce and toss each piece in it until fully coated.
- Bake again: Put them in the oven again for 10 minutes, turning at the 5th-minute mark to cook evenly on both sides.
- Serve: Allow the dish to cool, tossing from time to time to coat each piece with the sauce that starts to thicken as it cools. Then, serve with your favorite dip.
How long to bake honey garlic chicken wings?
This recipe prescribes that the oven be set at 425 degrees Fahrenheit and baking will take roughly around 25 to 30 minutes. The skin will crisp up in this setting.
But if you want to bake with a sauce, then, you can lower the temperature to 350- or 375-degrees Fahrenheit. In these settings, the baking will be longer at around 50 to 70 minutes.
- When reheating, simply bake them again using the original recipe settings. The only requirement is that the thickest part of the meat must reach 165 degrees Fahrenheit for it to be safe for consumption. If you are reheating frozen ones, thaw them first and allow them to rest at room temperature for about 15 minutes before baking again.
- Serve them with oven-roasted sweet potato fries, mashed potatoes, or brown sugar roasted carrots for a complete meal.
- If you want the skin to crisp up when you make this dish, make sure to dry the pieces. Aside from patting them dry and salting them, refrigerate the meat overnight in the fridge to further allow any moisture to dissipate.
Honey Garlic Chicken Wings
- 30 chicken wings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
Honey Garlic Sauce:
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Mirin
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Pat dry wings with paper towels until completely dry.
- Combine all the rub ingredients in a large bowl, add the wings and toss to combine. Brush with olive oil.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and then place parchment paper on top, arrange chicken wings in one layer, if needed use two baking sheets. Bake for 35 minutes turning at 20 minutes on the other side.
- In the meantime, combine sauce ingredients in a small pan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes or until slightly thickened and sauce coats the back of a spoon.
Combine Wings with the Sauce:
- Take wings from the oven, toss with sauce and return to the oven for another 10 minutes, turning after 5 minutes on the other side.
- Broil for a few minutes.
- Allow cooling for 10 minutes. As the sauce cools, it thickens. Stir the wings every few minutes to coat in the sauce as it thickens.
- Serve the wings with your favorite dipping sauce and garnished with sesame seeds.