This Fresh Strawberry Pie Recipe is the perfect berry pie for summer. The fresh berries taste so good with the pie crust and fresh whipped cream on top! Nothing says summer like this dessert!
There is nothing that screams summer more to me than those luscious red strawberries that are everywhere. When I see those popping up in the grocery stores I know it’s time for summer!
Whenever I think of fresh strawberries, I think of Disneyland (and vice versa). Food and memories are so intertwined that way; when something sticks in your head just the thought of the food brings the memory to the forefront.
Strawberry pie is perfect for using up that supermarket haul or just because you love the flavor of fresh strawberry pie. This one is perfect and works every time!
About Fresh Strawberries
Do you wonder how many strawberries do you need for a pie?
The rule of thumb is that 2 cups of berries is about 3/4 of a pound, also called a pint. A quart of berries is about 2 pounds (or around 2 pints) depending on the size of the berries.
For this recipe you need 5-6 cups of berries, which is about 2 pounds. Buy 2 pounds of berries, just to be safe.
How to make Strawberry Pie without Jello or gelatin
You can easily make a strawberry pie without jello or gelatin.
When you’re making a fresh strawberry pie filling, you cook some of the fruit like you would jam. The pectin in the fruit gels it enough when mixed with sugar and cornstarch that you don’t need the gelatin for it to solidify.
It’s almost like you’re making an apple pie filling, but with strawberries, and then you mix the filling with more fresh berries to take the shape of the pie. That makes it super simple and such a fresh and delicious pie recipe.
What crust goes best with a strawberry pie?
Traditionally I think you see pastry crusts with strawberry pie, but you can really use any pie crust recipe.
For this recipe I used my all butter pie crust but you can also use a graham cracker crust, shortbread crust or Oreo crust if you want this to be a no bake pie. If you’re using a pastry crust, you’ll want to blind bake it before filling.
Fresh Strawberry Pie
- 5-6 cups fresh strawberries about 2 pounds
- 1 All Butter Pie Crust pre-baked and cooled
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Whipped cream for garnish
- Blind Bake your crust according to package or recipe directions.
- Measure out two cups of berries, wash and hull them, then crush them with a potato masher.
- Add the crushed strawberries, sugar, water, and cornstarch to a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until it boils. Boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat. Cool completely before continuing. (You can also make this the day before.)
- To assemble the pie, hull and slice the remaining strawberries and place them in a bowl. Pour the cooled strawberry filling over the top and stir. Place in pie crust. Chill for at least 2 hours before slicing and serving. Top with fresh whipped cream before serving.
- This pie is best eaten the same day its made. It will get weepy if refrigerated overnight.
Learn how to blind bake your crust here.
Want a completely no bake pie? Use a graham cracker crust instead.