This Gnocchi Parmesan Garlic Sauce is one of my all-time favorite easy gnocchi recipes. Easy skillet gnocchi in garlicky, cheesy and creamy sauce. This recipe takes only 15 mins to make and perfect for weeknight dinner!
GNOCCHI PARMESAN GARLIC SAUCE
It was one of those nights. I got home from work late. I hadn’t been to the butcher so we didn’t have any meat. I was at a loss for dinner.
The natives were getting restless. I found myself standing in front of the pantry staring blankly into the abyss. Nothing in there inspired me. Maybe there was something in the fridge.
WHAT IS GNOCCHI?
Gnocchi is an Italian version of soft-dough dumplings made from potatoes, wheat flour or semolina. They are considered pasta, small and usually rolled over the tines of a dinner fork for the iconic shape. Gnocchi is mostly served with a sauce or pesto, such as garlic pesto.
I found a package of pre-made gnocchi. Hmmm…that had possibilities. I found some leftover heavy cream and the last bit of broccoli in the produce drawer. OK. I can see this coming together. Ohh! A hunk of parmesan cheese. I think I’ve got something here.
This was a perfect mid-week, meatless meal. And, the whole thing came together in just 15 minutes. You can’t beat that after a long day at work.
I’ll bet this sauce would be great over ravioli too. I’ll have to try that next time. Actually, it would probably be great over any kind of pasta. And, you could even add chicken or shrimp if you wanted to add some protein.
The doughy little potato dumplings are coated in a savory and creamy garlic Parmesan sauce, infused with the aroma of sage. The gnocchi has a wonderfully soft and tender center, it’s delightful to the taste bud.
Tasty Gnocchi Parmesan Garlic Sauce
- 1 pound gnocchi - cooked according to package directions
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 oz heavy cream - whole milk works too
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups broccoli florets - steamed
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- Prepare gnocchi according to package directions.
- Steam the broccoli in the same pot as the gnocchi, while it's cooking.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large saute pan over medium-low heat.
- Add garlic and saute for one minute, or until fragrant.
- Stir in flour for one minute.
- Add cream and whisk until combined.
- Let the sauce thicken over medium-low heat, whisking periodically for about 5-10 minutes.
- Once sauce is thickened, add Parmesan cheese and stir until combined.
- Add the cooked gnocchi and broccoli and stir until combined.
- Top with extra grated Parmesan.