This recipe makes the BEST Ever Baked Teriyaki Chicken! Juicy and tender chicken breasts cooked in the most incredible, super easy homemade teriyaki sauce with simple ingredients. So simple and tasty – the whole family will love this baked teriyaki chicken
This is it. My FAVORITE teriyaki chicken recipe. I am so pumped to be sharing this recipe with you today! If you have been searching for the perfect teriyaki chicken recipe you can whip up at home in just a few minutes and with no strange ingredients, stop looking friends, this is IT.
HOW DO YOU MAKE CHICKEN TERIYAKI SAUCE?
To make super simple, and totally delicious teriyaki sauce, combine soy sauce, water, garlic, ground ginger, rice vinegar, and crushed red pepper flakes in a sauce pan. Bring mixture to a boil, then add a corn starch slurry (corn starch dissolved into water or soy sauce) to thicken the sauce. Stir for just 1-2 minutes until thickened, then remove from heat and stir in sesame seeds. That’s it! Perfect teriyaki sauce you can use immediately, or store in a jar in the fridge for up to 3-4 weeks. You can also use this sauce as a marinade for teriyaki chicken, shrimp, steak, or veggies.
HOW DO YOU MAKE CHICKEN TERIYAKI?
To make the best chicken teriyaki, first make the sauce by combining the sauce ingredients over medium high heat, bring to a boil then add a corn starch slurry to thicken the sauce, and remove from heat. Place chicken in a large baking dish or rimmed baking pan. Pour half of the teriyaki sauce over the chicken, then bake at 400 degrees for about 20-25 minutes until cooked through. Drain the pan of excess liquid, then pour remaining teriyaki sauce over the chicken and serve.
WHAT IS A GOOD SIDE FOR TERIYAKI CHICKEN?
Homemade teriyaki chicken goes great with steamed white rice, or chicken fried rice. The rice soaks up some of the extra teriyaki sauce and makes a perfect companion to the chicken. More side dishes for teriyaki chicken include roasted Asian vegetables, lettuce wraps, hot and sour soup, or cream cheese wontons.
This is seriously the BEST baked teriyaki chicken ever! The chicken is tender, juicy, and full of flavor because it is baked in a thick teriyaki sauce to lock in moisture so the chicken doesn’t dry out. The teriyaki sauce is so easy to make and has the most amazing flavor – perfectly sweet, savory, and just a tiny bit spicy. I could eat this sauce every single day, it’s so much better than any store-bought sauce teriyaki sauce!
You are going to love this family favorite easy Japanese teriyaki chicken recipe. It’s so simple, and so tasty you’ll put it on your regular menu rotation for sure!
Baked Teriyaki Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts pounded to even thickness less than 1 inch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- chopped green onions and steamed rice for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a large baking dish or rimmed baking sheet. Arrange chicken in a single layer in the baking dish.
- In a medium sauce pan over high heat combine 1 cup soy sauce, water, rice vinegar, ginger, sugar, crushed red pepper flakes, and garlic and stir to combine. Bring to a boil.
- Once sauce is boiling, whisk together remaining 1/3 cup soy sauce and corn starch until dissolved and stir mixture into boiling sauce. Stir 1-2 minutes until sauce is thickened.
- Remove from heat, stir in sesame seeds, and pour half of the sauce over the chicken in the baking dish. Reserve the remaining sauce for later. Use a fork or tongs to turn chicken over a couple of times to coat in the sauce.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for about 20-25 minutes until chicken is completely cooked through. Drain excess liquid from the baking dish and pour remaining sauce over chicken. Garnish with chopped green onions and additional sesame seeds and serve over rice as desired.